Tuesday 3 April 2007

 

Ice cream vans and summer business

It's been nice and sunny for the last few days, and with Easter fast approaching I've been thinking of summer business ideas. Cornwall is a tourist trap and over the coming months tens of thousands of holiday makers will visit the county, each with wallets which will be decidedly emptier when they return home.

What do tourists (we Cornish call them Emmits!) want to spend their money on? Cream teas, ice creams, postcards, sun lotion, t-shirts... the list is endless. By coincidence there is an ice cream van on the garage forecourt not 2 miles up the road which I spotted today. I pulled in to take a look but there is no price on it, so I'm not actually sure whether it's for sale. I know Duncan Bannatyne (of Dragon's Den fame) started his multi-million pound fortune with an icecream van and the idea does appeal; a small fleet of vans with commission only drivers covering the Cornish beaches and tourist attractions. I did actually look into the idea a few years ago and still have the paperwork for license applications, I'll have to dig them out and take a look.

Postcards are also worth investigating. I posted in a previous thread my idea for photo-mosaic postcards and I do believe there is a real market for them. If we have good weather over the Easter weekend I'll have to take some shots and put a demo card together. I think if I approached the major Cornish attractions in the right way it could be a profitable venture.

The tools of the trade are what are really needed to succeed! Whether it's an air impact wrench, or Dreamweaver, choose and learn the right tools to get the job done!

So - online games, ice cream, postcards, articles and web design workshops! When I started this challenge I had no idea I'd have such diverse ideas but so far so good, I'm well on my way to £5000 but there's a long way to go yet, and a lot of work to do.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
My brother was a man who was selling ice cream for a while, even in a hot climate he didn't make enough to pay the rent, groceries, etc. Of course, a man and van of ice cream is nice.It was nice to have cash every day, but it just wasn't enough, and he worked 10 hours a day at it, besides.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]